Greater Manchester Police started their Police Support Volunteers Programme in 2007. We now have around 120 volunteers working throughout the organisation who help GMP in a variety of different ways.
GMP is encouraging applications from people aged 18 years and over and from all backgrounds to volunteer some of their time for the Force.
If you become a GMP volunteer, you can help to improve the quality of service we give to our communities.
We have volunteers involved in a number of areas of the service we provide to the public of Greater Manchester and we would like you to join them.
You will be provided with training, advice, guidance and support to help you carry out your activities and develop your skills.
There are a wide range of roles performed by volunteers within GMP. These roles do not replace employed staff or officers.
Each area of Greater Manchester Police works differently. Therefore the roles that volunteers undertake in each of these areas will be slightly different.
Some of these roles include:
- Contacting people with details of initiatives and providing feedback where appropriate.
- Organising meetings, such as those within neighbourhoods, taking the minutes, typing and distributing them.
- Providing administrative support to officers and staff - including filing, photocopying, typing, in putting data onto crime systems
- Assisting with crime prevention and community safety initiatives.
- Providing specialist skills to help communicate with your local community
- Supporting Neighbourhood Watch schemes.
- Getting involved as a member of an Independent Advisory Group (more information via the link on the right of the page).
Specials work alongside regular officers and Police Community Support Officers in local neighbourhood policing teams and are expected to commit an average of four hours service per week.
Find out more about the Special Constabulary.
Volunteer Police Cadets
A scheme for 13- 17 year-olds which provides a programme of weekly Cadet nights filled with activity, information and – hopefully – some fun.
If you are interested in becoming a Police Support Volunteer, please email HR.Recruitment@gmp.police.uk