/ Legal Aid for Domestic Abuse

Victims of domestic violence can be eligible for Legal Aid. The Legal Aid Agency will require evidence of domestic violence and abuse in order to fund legal aid in these types of cases.  If you are a victim of domestic violence you will need to give your solicitor some evidence that you have been a victim of domestic violence by your partner.
Greater Manchester Police are able to provide you with evidence of:
  • a Police caution for a domestic violence offence issued within the last 5 years
  • on-going criminal proceedings for a domestic violence offence in which you are the victim
  • on-going criminal proceedings for child abuse in which your child is a victim
  • evidence of being subject to a Multi-Agency Risk Assessment Conference (MARAC) plan within the last 2 years.
  • evidence of there having been a DVPO issued within the past 2 years
  • evidence of police bail must be in relation to a domestic violence offence.  If the perpetrator is not subsequently charged with the offence then evidence of police bail will no longer satisfy evidence requirements and an alternative piece of evidence must be provided.
Please complete the form attached and return together with the approved proof of your identity (please see guidance on the application form for more information on completing the form and acceptable forms of ID), by any of the following methods.
We will endeavour to respond within 10 working days (email or fax will generate the quickest response).
Email to: CRU.CareAndFamilySection@gmp.pnn.police.uk
or by post to:
Information Services, Criminal Records Unit
Bolton Police Station
Ground Floor, 10 Scholey Street, Bolton, BL2 1HX
Greater Manchester Police are unable to provide evidence of:
  • criminal convictions for a domestic violence offence;
  • evidence of a protective injunction (with the exception of a DVPO)
  • evidence of an undertaking given in place of a protective injunction;
  • evidence of a finding of fact of domestic violence by a Court;
  • a letter from a doctor or nurse confirming injuries or a condition consistent with domestic violence;
  • evidence from social services confirming domestic violence; or
  • evidence from a domestic violence support organisation confirming a 24-hour stay in a refuge due to domestic violence.

If you require evidence of the type listed above, please see the template letters and guidance available on the Legal Aid Agency website.

/ Related