/ Support during court cases

Click here if you want to navigate away from this site quickly.

Abusers use the fact that prosecution can be a difficult and emotional process. If you have made a complaint to the police and you are experiencing difficulties in this area or are having doubts about continuing, please contact your local Specialist Domestic Abuse Investigator by calling 101. They will be able to talk you through the whole process and answer any questions or concerns you have.

Bail and sentencing

GMP recognises that reporting abuse and giving evidence can be a very difficult decision to make, but police officers will support you in whatever way they can. The police can let the court know about previous incidents of domestic abuse so that they can take this into consideration when making decisions about bail and sentencing. GMP works with a lot of other agencies such as housing, victim support, local refuges etc, and there are many options available to support you.

Attending court

If you are required to attend court and have any fears about either attending court, or facing the offender, then police can request special measures which may help. These can include pre-court visits, so you feel more comfortable on the day, or the use of a screen or video link in court so you do not have to see the accused.

The Courts and Probation service have many ways of dealing with offenders. They will evaluate how a prison sentence or offender management/rehabilitation programme will affect you and your family and decide on a course of action that is in your best interest.

In the majority of cases where a victim gives evidence in court, the offender is convicted, giving the victim the chance to start to rebuild their lives with the help and support of a wide range of services available.

Click here if you want to navigate away from this site quickly.

/ Related