We are working on a new website with a range of services available. You can try it out here and let us know what you think.

Cookies on this website

Greater Manchester Police uses cookies on this website to provide information about visits to the site. We do not use cookies for collecting user information from the site. You consent to us placing cookies on your device if you continue to use our website with your browser settings set to accept cookies. If you wish to switch off cookies, you should view the guidance for the internet browser you are using. Our full cookies policy can be viewed here.

Man jailed after violent high-speed car chase

A man who was involved in a violent high-speed car chase around GMP’s headquarters has been jailed.

Mark Kennedy (27/09/1990) of no fixed abode has been sentenced to 14 years in prison for causing grievous bodily harm with a machete, today, Monday 16 April 2018, at Manchester Crown Square, Crown Court.

Just before 1.30pm on 16 August 2017, a 29-year-old man drove his blue Peugeot into the car park of the Central Park Police Station in Newton Heath.

He was closely followed by a red Audi that Kennedy was driving and a white VW Golf, driven by Paul Heaton (09/10/1990) of HMP Manchester, who was previously sentenced to 14 years imprisonment. Both cars blocked the exit, forcing the Peugeot to drive over a grass verge and through a hedge to escape.

Now on Northampton Road, he was pursued by both cars onto Oldham Road and when he tried to escape by doing a U-turn, Kennedy’s Audi collided with the Peugeot and all three cars came to a stop.

In fear, the victim abandoned his damaged Peugeot and ran towards the Gateway. Kennedy also left his Audi and got into the Golf with Heaton.

They drove after the victim, who jumped into the passenger side of a member of the public’s van and told the driver that he was going to be killed.

The van tried to take the victim to Central Park Police Station, but was stopped when the Golf sped up and crashed into the van.

Kennedy got out of the Golf, opened the van’s passenger door and tried to pull the victim out, striking him repeatedly with a machete, before running back to the getaway car and fleeing.

The victim was taken to hospital where he remained for some time.

In October 2017, Kennedy was arrested and has been found guilty after a five-day-trial.

Detective Inspector Claire McGuire of GMP’s City of Manchester Division, said: “This has been a truly unique case, made all the more surreal by the fact these events unfolded just seconds from such a busy police station.

“It was unnerving to hear the lengths Kennedy was willing to go to in his relentless pursuit of the victim, using such violent measures just a stone’s throw from the Force’s headquarters.

“This kind of extreme behaviour is absolutely unacceptable and I’m glad that we have been able to secure such a lengthy sentence for Kennedy.”

© Greater Manchester Police 2019