We are working on a new website with a range of services available. You can try it out here and let us know what you think.

Cookies on this website

Greater Manchester Police uses cookies on this website to provide information about visits to the site. We do not use cookies for collecting user information from the site. You consent to us placing cookies on your device if you continue to use our website with your browser settings set to accept cookies. If you wish to switch off cookies, you should view the guidance for the internet browser you are using. Our full cookies policy can be viewed here.

Appeal after man dies following 2014 city centre attack

In 2014 Noordin Jilib was attacked outside a nightclub in Deansgate leaving him brain damaged and needing round the clock care.

Three and a half years later, the 25-year-old from Hulme was admitted to hospital with pneumonia where he sadly died on 6 June 2018.

His death is now believed to be linked to that devastating attack back in December 2014.

Detectives, who investigated the incident and appealed for information at the time, have sadly never identified Noordin’s attackers.

It is hoped that this latest appeal will encourage people to come forward with details which could help identify those responsible.

The incident happened on Deansgate Locks about 3.15am on Saturday 20 December 2014 - the day after ‘Mad Friday’. It was outside the former Sugar Budha Bar now known as El Diablo on Whitworth Street.

Noordin, who was studying business finance at the time and had volunteered for a charity against violence, had been in the club where an earlier altercation took place but he was not involved.

He then went outside on to Whitworth Street where it is believed he became involved in an altercation with someone or several people. He received a blow to the head and suffered serious brain damage which left him unable to move or communicate.

Detective Inspector Gary Smith, from GMP’s City of Manchester division, said: “Although Noordin survived the attack in December 2014, his family lost their energetic, funny and caring son they had always known and loved.

“Three and a half years on, they are now suffering more pain after he has sadly passed away.

“It’s our job to find the people responsible for this attack and to understand exactly what happened that night and if it resulted in Noordin’s death.

“We have duty to provide the family with the answers they deserve but unfortunately, despite extensive work by officers including CCTV trawls, we’ve never identified a suspect.

“I believe someone saw something, or knows something about that night, and has yet to come forward.

“If people don’t feel comfortable talking to police, for whatever reasons, they can still provide information by calling the independent Crimestoppers anonymously.

“Even the tiniest bit of information might be the key to solving this tragic case.”

Anyone with any information should call police on 0161 856 4409 quoting incident number 493 of 20 December 2014.

© Greater Manchester Police 2019