/ Contact Us

In an emergency: dial 999

An emergency is when a crime is being committed or has just been witnessed, there is a risk of injury, or a risk of serious damage to property.

In an non-emergency: dial 101

Use this number to report a non-emergency incident or make a general enquiry. 

Every hoax or non-emergency call to 999 causes a delay in answering and dealing with genuine emergencies. 

999 is a fast response line for members of the public who urgently need police assistance. 

Misuse of this service can seriously put lives at risk and we therefore urge the public to consider this before ringing the service with non-urgent matters.

Contacting GMP with information

Before submitting any information to GMP, please ensure:

You are NOT reporting a crime

You do NOT need police assistance

You do NOT need police to contact you about an incident or offence

You are NOT providing information about a crime that is in progress


Crimestoppers is an independent charity who will not want your name, just your information. Your call will not be traced or recorded and you do not have to go to court or give a statement. If you have any information relating to guns and gangs or any crime you can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or through www.crimestoppers-uk.org

Praise and complaints

If you think that a police officer or member of police staff has behaved incorrectly or unfairly, or if you have received good service from us, we want to know about your experiences.

You call tell us about your positive experiences here.

Please read our Complaints section to find out how to make a complaint and the appeals process.

Please do not use this facility to report crimes or enquire on outstanding crimes. Please phone 101 with details.

Emergency SMS service

The emergencySMS service lets deaf, hard of hearing and speech-impaired people in the UK send an SMS text message to the UK 999 service where it will be passed to the police, ambulance, fire rescue, or coastguard.

Find out more about the service here: http://www.emergencysms.org.uk/

Hearing or speech impaired 

Contact via NGT - 18000 for emergency calls

SignVideo Service

SignVideo is a specialist state-of the art video centre staffed by fully qualified and registered (NRCPD/SASLI) BSL/English Interpreters, who are available on demand.

Find out more here.

Ask the Police

The Ask the Police website, an official police resource, has been developed to reduce the number of non-emergency calls to police forces.You can access an extensive bank of police-based Frequently Asked Questions.

Online Crime Reporting

You can use the following websites to report crime to the police:

  • Action Fraud - UK's national fraud and internet crime reporting centre.
  • Report It - reporting online hate crime.
  • Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (CEOP) - The National Crime Agency's CEOP Command works with child protection partners across the UK and overseas to identify the main threats to children and coordinates activity against these threats to bring offenders to account. They protect children from harm online and offline, directly through NCA led operations and in partnership with local and international agencies.


Crimestoppers is an independent charity helping law enforcement to locate criminals and help solve crimes. They have an anonymous 24/7 phone number, 0800 555 111, that people can call to pass on information about crime; alternatively people can send us information anonymously via our Giving Information Form. You don't have to give your name or any of your personal details. They do not trace calls or track IP addresses.

Social Media

Greater Manchester Police has a Twitter, Facebook, Flickr and YouTube account as well accounts that cover areas within Greater Manchester.

Postal Enquiries

You can write to the following address:

Greater Manchester Police
Openshaw Complex,
Lawton Street,
M11 2NS


For directions to GMP HQ or Nexus House, please visit the Directions to GMP sites

/ Related