Greater Manchester Police does not have the authority to approve or ban public events and our powers to regulate traffic for such events are extremely limited. The police have no general duty to preserve public safety at public events, except where there are imminent or likely threats to life.
Concern for public safety as well as those who may in any way be affected, is a responsibility of the event organiser.
This includes avoiding damage to property, fear or alarm to the public, disruption to the local community and ensuring that human rights are not infringed.
Select one of the sections below for information:
- Organiser responsibilities
- Organising a Protest March / Static Demonstration
- Safety Advisory Group
- Traffic management
- Stewards and Accredited and trained staff
- Additional guidance for organisers
- Event debriefing
- Cost recovery
Additional event materials and guidance:
- Arrangements for Public events (PDF)
- Statement of service provision for Specialist Police Services (PDF)
- Events on a Highway (PDF)
- AGMA (Association of Greater Manchester Authorities - contact details for all 10 councils within GMP)